A survey conducted by Arts Northern Rivers in 2005 identified over 1,500 practicing visual artists in the Northern Rivers region.
Many of these artists are established, successful professionals with national and international profiles. The Northern Rivers is also gaining a reputation as a launching pad and mecca for emerging and mid career artists, and from the collectors point of view, as great place to purchase a bargain from a rising star.
The survey revealed that:
- 44% have worked as a visual artist for over 20 years
- 48% are primarily painters
- 64% sell most of their work locally
- 32% sell most of their work nationally
- 4% sell most of their work internationally
- 42% sell most of their work through commercial galleries
- 72% have exhibited their work in a regional gallery
- 69% have exhibited in an award exhibition
- 63% have won an award for their work
The surveyed artists identified the two things which would help them most with their business as being marketing workshops and advice on how to work with commercial galleries.
The VAN survey was conducted in May 2005.